Friday, January 4, 2013

Things 2012 Taught Me

I have been through a lot. More than some, less than others. I have realized that life does not always isn't what we map out in our minds, but you learn to go with it, or fight trying to save "what should have been." So, 2012, thank you for all you have taught me about life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness. Firstly, you taught me that sometimes, things start off bad. But they get better. 2012 started off jobless, moneyless, and sunshineless. I've seen people come and go from my department, good and bad. But after being here about a year, I can say they I am so grateful for all of the opportunities that have been afforded to me. 2012 taught me about the value of hard work. When I started my job, I hated it. Honestly and truly. But everyday, I put on a brave face and made it to work. I quickly learned to love my job, and some of the people I have had the pleasure of working with. I have made friends I'm the process, come across many interesting people, with stories of their own, and learned a lot about the world; this small world called Gwinnett county.
2012 also taught me about freedom. Freedom from the past, things I had yet to forgive myself for, and the ability to let it all go. Time does heal.
I also learned about love and friendships. The good kind. The ones who share your sadness, so that you might share their happiness, friends who buy you a cup of coffee because they know you're having a terrible day. Friends who, despite time and distance, will be there for you on the worst days, and the best days. I learned to distance myself from toxic relationships, even when you still think they might have a place in your life. [they don't.] 2012 has taught me about love. And insurmountable, inexplicable, genuine love, for someone I have yet to meet. I can't wait to meet the little bean!!
But most importantly, 2012 taught me a lot about myself, the person I should love before loving someone else. I've had a difficult relationship with myself. I've hated myself, for what I did, didn't do, was, or wasn't. I hated myself for all the things I didn't have the "courage" to do. But in these last 366 days we called 2012, I have learned they the most courageous thing i could have ever done was to be still, and wait on God's time. I have learned to value myself, my time, my thoughts and my emotions.
So, 2012, thank you for everything. Thank you for opening the door for 2013 to be an amazing year, a year of new beginnings. Peace, love, and rock&roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment